BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Times are a'Changin... Election '08

Barak Obama made history last night, becoming our new President-Elect - and he was chosen by means of a cool concept called a 'right to vote'. After much prayer for the direction of this country, I exercised that right (and brought my kids with me) yesterday and, as we were leaving, said a prayer of thanks that we had the freedom and safety to vote (and pray, for that matter). Wow, there are SO many things I could say about this country, my convictions, the election, the candidates, moral issues, people's opinions, but I think I'll just stick to the heart of the matter, and talk about my God.

~ Although I did not vote for the winning candidate, I am instructed and compelled to pray for him, and this country:

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone, for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." 1 Timothy 2: 1 - 4

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14.

~ Although I have the option to dwell on my fears (founded and unfounded), I am instructed and compelled to trust the author of this universe:

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been declared to you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, It is He who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. It is He who reduces rulers to nothing, Who makes the judges of the earth meaningless." Isaiah 40: 21 - 23

I'm so relieved and comforted that God won't fit in the box that I seem to want to put Him in. He is very much in control, while my roles (privileges) are to seek His face, watch for His return, trust His sovereignty, love His people, speak His truth, obey His word, and pray His will.

0 comments: